Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Part II, Pleasure Island Sea Turtle Project, Summer of 2010, Nest 1 Stragglers

At about 11:45 am Wednesday morning, July 21, Jennifer noticed a woman with a little shovel with what looked like turtles.  As I had my Sea Turtle Project hat on, I quickly went over to see what was happening and to assist in ensuring the turtles made it out to sea.  I was very excited and didn't really know what I was doing as I am still learning and consider myself a rookie thus far.  As the woman carefully put the turtles on the beach near the low tide, one began going the wrong way.  I carefully picked them both up individually to put them directly in the water.  They were very dry looking and it seemed they needed water quickly.  They sat for a moment in the water before beginning their swim into the sea.  I spoke with some onlookers about the basics I knew about the turtles.  Afterward, everyone went about their way and Jennifer and I were very excited!!!  I was frantically calling the nest parent and one of our leaders to find out what exactly we needed to do if any more came out.  Nancy said we did great and as long as the turtles made it safely to the water and out a bit, we had been a help to them. We had just about had enough of the sun and decided to sit next to the nest to watch for any other turtles that may appear.  Within 10 minutes another turtle popped up right through the nest and began turning in a circle.  I quickly put on a glove and it appeared best to get the turtle on the top of a bucket and carry it to sea.  We sat for about 20 more minutes and began to head home.  What an exciting morning at the beach!