Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Part I, Loggerhead Sea Turtle Nest #1

Turtles 101 - Mama Turtles lay there eggs as early as May.  After the nests are laid, the eggs sit for 50 days.  On the 50th day the volunteers for the Pleasure Island Sea Turtle Project bring their shovels and rakes to make a trench that will help guide the turtles to the sea.  It happened to be that on the morning of the 50th day, Monday, July 19 a depression formed in the nest.  This depression means the turtles are beginning to come out of their shells and the nest may hatch immediately or typically within 5 days of the depression. 

Here you can see the depression to the right of the photo.  Monday, I went out to Kure Beach around 5 to get out there early and wait for the trenching to begin at 7pm. I waited with other volunteers and beach-goers until about 9:45pm.  Tuesday night, I was hoping and waiting to see the nest hatch and headed home at about 10:45pm.  I had plans to go with my friend Jennifer to the beach this morning, Wednesday at 7am.  I spoke with the Nest Parent upon our arrival and she informed us the turtles hatched after 2am.  Followed by this news, we hated to have missed it.  However, a nice surprise happened later at around 11:45am.  Continue to read Part II....

No comments: