The Leatherback Hatchlings!
As some of you may know, I was at a trenching yesterday - digging with a shovel to make a pathway for the loggerhead turtles to make their way out to sea. I left at about 8pm to come home and then the phone rang around 8:30-8:45pm telling me that a depression was made in the sand at the Leatherback nest (a sinking of the sand) meaning the turtles were beginning to hatch and dig their way out of their nest. There is a bit of information about the Leatherbacks in my previous post. So, I dressed warmly just in case it was going to be a long night. It didn't take very long for the turtles the come out and by 10:45 last night, they were all gone, having made their way home to the sea. It was absolutely AMAZING! It was the very first nest I have ever seen hatch was the Leatherback nest! Not many I think can actually say that. I feel so lucky I was able to see them all come out...the count is 70 hatchlings. This picture was not taken at this hatch but was a great picture that shows you what they do look like. Thank you Google Images.
Stay tuned for more to come Thursday night at the excavation starting at 7 pm!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment